Picture a beautiful luxurious Mongolian yurt in the middle of the British countryside. The fire is warm and through the yurt’s wheel crown, you can see a clear night sky showing the brightest stars in the universe. You are cosied down with a blanket, flickering candle, good book or board game and perhaps a glass of your favourite wine. Your loved ones are safe and peaceful around you, basking in the warm glow.
This is the joy of winter glamping.
Who says glamping is just for summer? We all lead such busy lives, especially in the winter months and in the run up to Christmas. Everyone needs some time to practice self-care and being back in nature thinking only about the simple pleasures in life is food for the soul.
Our luxurious Mongolian yurts are lined with an extra layer of sheep wool felt and we prepare each yurt with all the warmth and heat you will need to make your stay cosy and warm. Whether you spend the day walking the dog and breathing in the crisp country air or taking in the local sites, you will come back to a perfect base to relax and unwind.
The key to a magical winter yurt break is being prepared; bring your favourite wellies, warmest coat, and fluffy pyjamas. We recommend bringing a hat, scarf and gloves for when you’re sitting around the fire pit enjoying your toasted marshmallows and mulled wine. A fleece onesie for sleeping in is our secret tip for keeping extra warm during the night. They may be naff, but they are so cosy!
On site is our gorgeous quirky Canvas Café where you can enjoy a tasty choice of food, both at breakfast and lunch or you might wish to use your own kitchen facilities in the cooking cabin. The kitchen is equipped with everything you need. We recommend “one pot” meals as they take the hassle out of everything and we have included two lovely recipes below which you could try during your stay. Our fire pits are also great for toasting marshmallows.
And not forgetting our eco-friendly wood burning hot tub. If you’ve ever dipped in the hot tub on a skiing holiday, you will know that one of the best times to experience this joy is in the winter. Submerged in lovely warm water while you breath in the fresh air and toast your stay with a glass of bubbly or milky hot chocolate, it’s the only place to be.
Christmas and New Year are fully booked, and we are excited to welcome our guests at this time of the year as we always receive such lovely feedback on how relaxed our guests are when they leave. There’s always next year though, but in the meantime, we still have some availability before and after and are offering a lower deposit rate of 25% to secure your booking. Please visit here to book or contact us for further information.
Our suggested one pot recipes for winter glamping.
Glamping Pesto Chicken
This meal takes about 15 minutes to prepare and a further 16 minutes to cook and serves four.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
1 large courgette, halved and sliced
1 large butternut squash, halved and sliced
2 cups chopped kale
1 cup of small mixed tomatoes, halved
2 sweetcorn ears, shucked and kernels removed or for glamping ease a large tin of sweetcorn
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup store-bought basil pesto
¼ cup double cream
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Parmesan cheese, grated
- Heat a large pan over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Add the olive oil to the pan, throw in the chicken and brown on all sides, 4 to 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add the onions, courgette and butternut squash and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Move those vegetables to the edges of the pan and add the kale, tomatoes, sweetcorn and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale turns bright green, an additional, 1 to 2 minutes.
- In a small bowl, stir together the pesto and cream.
- Return the chicken to the pan along with any juices. Add the pesto cream and reduce the heat to medium. Cook, stirring, for an additional 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the lemon juice and grated parmesan. Enjoy
Glamping Tofu Chilli with Avocado Salad
This meal takes a little longer to cook and prepare but it well worth it. 30 minutes to prepare and 60 minutes to cook and will serve 4.
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
½ lb(s) (225 g) white mushrooms, quartered
2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ orange bell pepper, seeded and diced
½ cup tomato-based chilli sauce
2 tbsp chilli powder
1 can chopped tomatoes
1 can red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (or in chilli sauce and you can forget the sauce above)
1 block of firm tofu, patted dry and diced
1 avocado, diced
½ orange bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
¼ cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1 tbsp lime juice
½ cup grated mature cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper
- In a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat, soften the onion, garlic and mushrooms in the oil. Add the bell peppers and continue cooking for about 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients. Mix thoroughly. Bring to a boil and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the chili has thickened. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl, combine the avocado, bell pepper, basil and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- spoon the chilli into bowls. Top with avocado, salad and cheese.